Tuesday, April 19

Saying No Without Guilt: Julie Hanks



'No' is not a moral issue.
It's just saying, "I can't do everything, and I get to pick and choose what that is".

'No' is actually ok, and it's honourable. It's honourable to say no and mean it, and to say yes and mean it.

Our time and our energy, is our stewardship. It's no one else's.

Ultimately it's our 'yes', or it's our 'no'. 

Reasons we shouldn't feel guilty about saying 'No':

1. 'No' sets Boundaries.
It's a really important word for setting any kind of boundary.
It's like the basic boundary.
Saying I'm not going to do it. I don't want to.
And that is our right, to set boundaries.
It's our job.

2. 'No' means you know your limits.
'No' is an acceptance of our humanity.
That we get tired. That we don't want to do everything. That we can't.
I have other things going on, and I know what my limitations are. And I'm ok with it.
Does it sound energising or does it sound draining?

3. 'No' prevents Burnout.
Ironically, in trying to do everything, we end up not being able to do anything for anyone, because we get burned out.
It's crucial for setting priorities.
When I say 'No' to something, I am saying 'Yes' to something more important.
That's really important to remember.
We get to prioritize.

4. 'No' helps you identify your needs.
That's how we find out what we want, by eliminating the things that we don't want.
'No' can help us recognise what we really value, by saying definitely not.
We find what we really want, by the process of elimination.

http://www.drjuliehanks.com/2013/10/23/free-printable-helpful-ways-to-say-no/

No comments:

Post a Comment