Thursday, February 14

How Recovering People-Pleasers Can Discover What They Really Want : tiny buddha

How Recovering People-Pleasers Can Discover What They Really Want

Begin by considering one of your social systems: your romantic relationship, your workplace, your church, your family. Then, ask yourself: “What would I do differently if I weren’t a part of this system?”

Previously unacknowledged desires emerge when you extricate yourself from the pressures and influences of your system.

Years ago, when I first did this exercise, I wrote in my journal, “What would I do differently if I weren’t in a relationship with my partner?” I was amazed as my hand flew across the page, scribbling: “Sign up for a dance class! Go out with friends more! Sleep in on Sundays!”

My answers helped me realize that I was suffocating my own desires out of fear of my partner’s reactions. What I really wanted was right there on the page. Having this list enabled me to consider how I might carve out more space for my own desires within my relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment