Tuesday, April 9

An ENFP’s Guide to Getting Out of Your Head and Into Reality

https://www.truity.com/blog/enfps-guide-getting-out-your-head-and-reality

An ENFP’s Guide to Getting Out of Your Head and Into Reality:

A New Color Theory

In a slight panic, I glanced around the room and saw the red, velvet curtains on the stage. I thought of everything I could that was red and vividly pictured each one in my mind. Once the color red was exhausted, I moved on to purple and followed the same process. I found that this kept my thoughts occupied on inconsequential things instead of spiraling into the emotional territory of a 17 year old thinking of moving far away from everything she knew.

Awareness For the Win

I have found this works best while sitting. Start by taking deep breaths and focus in on your body. Similar to progressive muscle relaxation, start from the bottom of your body and work your way up. What do your feet feel like against the floor? How about your legs or bum against the seat of the chair? Are the muscles in your back tight? Does your skin feel cool in the breeze? Focusing your attention on your body gives you the opportunity to ground your inner thoughts without completely distracting yourself. This is quite helpful in a situation you must see through to the end.

Out of Doors, Out of Mind

If ever I got too anxious and wrapped up in my thoughts, I immediately grabbed my shoes and coat (I went to school in the snow) and tromped around outside. I found inner clarity as I moved around and gained an increased ability to focus when I returned.

Tangible Tokens

Have five items on hand, one for each physical sense. Keep a photo that speaks to you, whether it is calming or entertaining is your choice. Have lotion, perfume, or something that smells nice to engage your sense of smell. Make sure you have access to some sort of music, talk, podcast, or other auditory stimulant. Don’t forget something to eat! My sister is particularly fond of mints, I prefer chewing gum. Lastly, hold a bit of cloth or something textured to capture your sense of touch. In focusing one by one on each of your senses, you may accomplish the grounding sensation discussed previously.

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment