Saturday, October 20

You are not your goals : Medium

https://medium.com/the-polymath-project/you-are-not-your-goals-446559f1f118

Go for a run if you can, and see what I mean. Instead of focussing on the 10k mark, focus on running the next 100m. Bring your goals closer and closer to you until what you are doing is no longer goal-oriented at all, but just a mode of being. You are running (verb) rather than ‘going for a run’ (noun). Paradoxically you’ll run further.

Since I’ve noticed this, I’ve drawn parallels in other parts of my life.

By committing yourself to learning (verb) rather than the state (noun) of having learnt something, you will get to that state quicker and take more in.

Now that’s not to say that goal setting isn’t important. I wouldn’t have even embarked on a run if I hadn’t had some vague notion of fitness to motivate me. I’m saying that you should identify modes of being that 1) you enjoy, and 2) get you to where you want to be, and commit to putting yourself in those modes.

Keyword: 'mode of being'

Note:
I think both are important. There may be cases where one is more applicable than the other. But, generally both are important.

I am very grateful for this article. I feel I learnt something substantial.
Thank u Matt Oxley and Medium.
Thank u God.

No comments:

Post a Comment